Sunday, September 30, 2007

"5K" Granola

I made this easy granola for the 5K walk, but we were too busy walking to eat any of it. It's out of my new Betty Crocker Cookbook (yes, I retired the 40-year-old one that I got from our wedding reception). Preparation time is 10 minutes unless you count the time it takes in the store to round all the ingredients up.

Granola (healthy stuff)

2 c. regular rolled oats
1 c. coarsely chopped sliced almonds, chopped walnuts, or chopped pecans
1/2 c. coconut (optional)
1/2 c. shelled sunflower seeds
1/4 c. toasted wheat germ
1/4 c. flax seed (I left this out because I couldn't find any)
1/2 c. honey or maple-flavored syrup (honey is healthier)
2 T. canola oil
1 c. dried fruit (cherries, dates, raisins or craisins)

Combine first six ingredients. In a bowl, mix honey and oil. Add honey mixture to the dry mixture, and spread evenly onto a greased (Pam) cookie sheet. Bake @ 300 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until light brown, stirring after 20 minutes. Stir in dried fruit. Cool. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week or in freezer bags for up to 2 months.

2 comments:

dan said...

so it's pretty good? maybe one of my goals for october should be to make a recipe. that would be something new

Janette said...

yeah, i had some right before th 5k, it was way good